Smithville is located between Bastrop and LaGrange Texas just off Highway 71. We are approximately 45 minutes east of Austin, 2 hours from San Antonio and 3 hours from Houston.
Things to Do In and Around Smithville
Antique Shopping, Historical interests, Museum, National/State parks, Nature area, Zoo, Horse-drawn carriage rides, 3 public golf courses, Manor Downs Horsetrack, Rocky Hill Bicycle Ranch, Bicycles, Bird watching, Canoeing, Fishing, Golfing, Hiking trails, Kayaking, Mountain Bike trails, Shopping, Sight-seeing
Watch the wildlife
AUS-Austin/Bergstrom International Airport approximately 45 minutes away.
Several Hollywood movies have been filmed in and around Smithville in the past 20 years. Some of the more well known are:
- Doonby ( filmed in Smithville, 2010) starring John Schneider, Jenn Gotzon, Jennifer O’Neill, Joe Estevez, Will Wallace, Erin Way stayed here.
- Natural Selection (filmed in Smithville 2010) starring Matt O’Leary, Rachel Harris, Jon Gries, John Diehl, Director Robert Pickering also stayed here.
- Valero Energy Commercial (filmed in Smithville, 2010) Director/Producers/crew stayed here and location shot of July 4th Happy Birthday America commercial filmed here also.
- Five Time Champion (filmed in Smithville 2009) starring Jon Gries, Dana Wheeler, Betty Buckley, Don Pirl, Justin Arnold, Julie Erickson, stayed here.
- Susie McEntire, Gospel Singer who is also Reba’s sister stayed here with her Co-host & Pastor, Producer & film crew during the March 2009 Cowgirl Rodeo at the Riverbend Park, Smithville.
- Tree of Life (filmed in Smithville 2008) starring Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain. The following co-stars stayed here, Jack Hurst, Fiona Shaw & Laramie, sound director-John Pritchett